When you send SIA your licence application they will need to provide supporting identity documents. These documents will be returned to you by courier or post after they have been checked and scanned onto our system.
All documents must be originals, not photocopies. All combinations must confirm your correct name, current address and date of birth.
Your application form and supporting documents must all show the same forename, middle names and surnames. If you have a hyphenated surname (for example, Brooke-Taylor), enter this in full. If you have any middle names and do not provide them, we will reject your application form as incomplete.
If your title is Mrs, but your married name is the same as your maiden name, you must answer 'Yes' to question D9, entering your surname as it was at birth in D10 and the current year in D12. Not doing so will delay your application as we will not be able to perform a criminality check until we have this information.
If any of your documents are not in English you must provide us with both the original and an English translation from an approved translator.
Please remove all documents from holders, wallets, etc before sending them to the SIA
The SIA may alter our document requirements from time to time in order to maintain the integrity of their identification checks.
If you have a UK digital passport
You must fill in your passport number at question D4 of the application form and enclose:
- One further identity document from group A showing your current address.
- Two documents from group B. At least one document must show your current address.
How to check for a digital passport: All UK passports issued since 2002 are digital and some digital passports were issued before then. If your photograph and personal details are on page 31 (or 47 in Jumbo passports) and your photograph has been digitally reproduced, the passport is a digital passport. If your photograph and personal details are on the inside of the back cover, then the passport is not a digital passport.
If you don't have a UK digital passport
SIA will accept:
- Two identity documents from group A. At least one document must show your current address and at least one document must show your date of birth.
- One identity document from group A and two documents from group B. At least one document must show your current address and at least one document must show your date of birth.
What do we mean by "group A" and "group B"?
Group A documents:
- Signed valid passport of any nationality, or UK digital passport number entered on the application form – this is the preferred option as it will help us speed up the processing of your application.
- Signed valid UK photo driving licence (both parts of the full or provisional licence are required)
- UK original birth certificate issued within 12 months of birth
Group B documents:
- Valid EU photo ID card.
- Valid UK firearms licence with photo
- Signed valid UK paper driving licence.
- Marriage certificate or Civil Partnership certificate, with translation if not in English.
- UK birth certificate issued more than 12 months after date of birth, but not a photocopy.
- Non-UK birth certificate, with translation if not in English.
- UK adoption certificate
- P45 statement of income for tax purposes on leaving a job issued in the last 12 months.
- P60 annual statement of income for tax purposes issued in the last 12 months.
- Bank or building society statement issued to your current address, less than three months old. You can use more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different bank or building society.
- Mortgage statement issued in the last 12 months.
- Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, water, satellite, cable) issued to your current address within the last three months. You can only send us one utility bill in support of your application.
- Pension, endowment or ISA statement issued in last 12 months.
- British work permit or visa issued in last 12 months.
- Letter from H.M. Revenue & Customs, Department of Work and Pensions, employment service, or local authority issued within the last three months. You can use more than one letter as long as each is issued by a different Government department or a different local authority.
- A credit card statement sent to your current address within the last three months. You can use more than one statement as long as each is issued by a different issuer.
- Council Tax statement issued in the last 12 months.
- Child benefit book issued in last 12 months.